An easy DIY espresso powder for BBQ rubs and more
Are you ever in need of instant espresso powder for baking recipes or BBQ rubs? You know you can buy it at the store, but why spend extra money on something you already have at your fingertips? You also know since it's ground, it's probably STALE! EWWW! No thank you!
There is a super easy way to make your own espresso powder.
- Grind the coffee to a coarse grind OR you can use your spent espresso puck. It's fine that it's damp.
- Spread it out in a thin layer on a cookie sheet.
- Preheat your oven to 200° degrees F.
- Place the baking sheet on the center rack and bake for 1 hour. You know it's done when it's lightly toasted and fully dried.
- Let cool.
- Grind the dried grounds to very fine -unless you started with an espresso puck.
- So that your espresso powder stays fresh - store it in an airtight container.
You can also use espresso powder in dry rubs and spice blends, to add flavor to steaks, chicken breasts, and even braises and stews.
Try experimenting with adding it to salad dressings, pot roasts, and barbecue sauces. You can even use it to make coffee infused salt.
Summer will be here before you know - that means BBQ season! Sip on a cold brew while you grill... that's known as "CHILL and GRILL!" :-)